Tuesday, April 25, 2006
The mission of the Not Forgotten Coalition is to enhance the quality of seniors’ lives through education and advocacy.
A more educated senior and caregiver population that’s prepared for all that comes their way—both the good and the trying
· To educate the seniors, caregivers, adults with disabilities, and the community about issues affecting seniors and adults with disabilities
· To advocate for the needs of seniors and adults with disabilities
· To provide for seniors’ and disabled adults’ needs by maintaining an emergency resource room for APS clients and through the Adopt-A-Caseworker program
WHAT IS THE NOT FORGOTTEN COALITION?
The Not Forgotten Coalition is a group of concerned people from agencies, businesses, and groups dedicated to senior citizens and adults with disabilities. This is a partnership with Adult Protective Services (APS).
WHO IS ABUSED, NEGLECTED, AND EXPLOITED?
Abuse, neglect, and exploitation occurs to elderly men and women of all income levels, all cultural and ethnic groups, to those in good health and those incapacitated in some way, in poor neighborhoods and in suburbia. More than 8,700 elderly and disabled in this area were reported to APS as victims of suspected abuse, neglect, and exploitation in 2005, resulting in more than 4,400 confirmed as victims. We know that all too many victims are never reported to APS.
WHO ABUSES, NEGLECTS, AND EXPLOITS THE ELDERLY?
Abuse, neglect, and exploitation is perpetrated on the elderly by their adult children, spouses, grandchildren, other relatives, siblings, service providers, acquaintances, and strangers. Self-neglect also occurs.
WHAT KIND OF ABUSE, NEGLECT, AND EXPLOITATION OCCURS?
The elderly are victims of
· Neglect – Physical, medical, and self-neglect
· Abuse – Physical abuse, including beatings, bruises, cuts, burns, confinement; emotional, verbal, and sexual abuse
· Exploitation – Illegal or improper use of the elderly’s resources for personal benefit without informed consent
For information, call Patricia Scrivano at 210 337-3297. To report abuse, neglect, and exploitation, call 1-800-252-5400.